IGNORED

v8 confusion

ghostrider

Looking for guidance.just bought 77 280z and am undecided about whether to keep the stock engine and get some more hp out of the engine or go with the v8. Need some help on this.

Also if I do go with the v8 I want to use the LS1 motor and the borg-warner t56 6 speed tranny. Is this a good combo? I know the automatic tranny would be easier but I like the manual tranny better. Where is there a good place to purchase the LS1 engine. Money is a issue, so would a regular 350 with cast iron block be just as good. thanks

Welcome,

Personally if money is an issue making HP out of a Z engine cost $. If you can do the work yourself a V8 is the way to go, if you have to pay someone then you need to find another car to modify... www.hybridz.org is a great place to learn about V8 swaps into Z cars, there you will be better able to find out cost and what is best.

Hi Ghostrider,

I am having an LS6 (basically an LS1 with a few upgrades) and a T56 fitted in my 240. Long way off yet but the build plan has been done so it will happen this year.

The easiest and most common V8 installation is the NA old school Small Block Chevy, preferably with aluminium heads, gearbox is a preference thing but the T56 is good. Bear in mind if you make SERIOUS horsepower you may trash the gearbox because of the associated torque but a 350 - 400 BHP motor should be no problem.

VERY useful site is http://www.jagsthatrun.com - they do all of the mounting kits, conversion plates, cables and headers for the old style engine, although they have just started doing block hugger headers for the LS1.

Another useful site is www.johnscars.com who do the mounting kits for the LS1

I would strongly advise that you buy the manuals on offer from both sites to get a feel for the work involved and the potential issues you may run in to. Easy if planned properly, nightmare if you make it up as you go along.

Fundamentally, the old style engines are cheaper, easier to fit and less agro to work on and maintain. The new LS engines require ECU fitment and mapping, however, the new engines will get 400BHP and still run 28MPG on the motorway, they are smoother, quieter and much better mannered at town speeds but still go like a b***h when you floor it.

www.hybridz.com is an awesome source of information as mentioned above but they like new comers to use the search facility first then ask questions.

If I can be of any assistance in pointing you at information sources I would be glad to help (assuming I have found a source to start with :-) I have done a lot of research for my project)

Good Luck.

Andy F :classic:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Ghostrider,

www.hybridz.com is an awesome source of information as mentioned above but they like new comers to use the search facility first then ask questions.

Andy F :classic:

This is the correct link to the HybridZ site and all the members on it invite all of you to drop in and check it out for any conversion needs :love:

http://www.hybridz.org/

LARRY