IGNORED

Painting the steering wheel

kenz240z

I finally had a free day to myself, a welcome relief as my summer has been busy. My sweetheart and I were married 2 weeks ago, so most of the summer has been spent in planning for the big day.

Anyway, I decided to pick up some weed & feed for the lawn, and being such a nice day, I drove my Z. I've been concentrating on freshening up the interior, and one item on my list was the steering wheel. The paint was dull, and there was a little bit of rust in a few spots. So, upon returning home I decided to repaint it.

I began by scuffing the painted surfaces with a Scotchbrite pad. This was followed by wet sanding with 400 grit paper (I hope my wife doesn't kill me for using the kitchen sink for this part :finger: ) Next I returned to the garage and cleaned everything with a bit of wax & grease remover.

I then began the most time consuming part of the project, namely masking off the outer wheel part and the front and back of the center. Once masked off, I went over the exposed surface with wax & grease remover one more time. Once it was dry I tacked the surface and then proceeded to paint. I happened to use a low gloss, high temp engine paint. I did this for two reasons: first, because it yeilds a nice satin finish; second, because it was the only black paint I had in the garage :knockedou!

Here are a few photos I took as I worked on it.

Kenny P.

post-6323-14150794248786_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150794249068_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150794249322_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150794249582_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150794249794_thumb.jpg