IGNORED

Info About 1971 240Z

5-Speed

Hi, I am very much interested in getting a 1971 240Z, and I just had some questions regarding the car.

1. How reliable are they, If i am driving around 5 to 10 thousand miles a year how much can I expect to pay in repairs and parts?

2. What is the aviliabilty of the parts?

3. Body Rust? I have been told this is quite a problem with the car, how true is this?

4. Is it hard to find a place to take it that can do work on them?

5. Would it be an ok car for a younger driver? (age 16-18)

If there is anything else anyone can add to help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

1: Very reliable. I started driving my father's 240 when I was 17 and have not had many major problems. As long as you find a nice one and do regular maintenance on it (oil change, check radiator fluid, etc) then it will give you lots of trouble free driving.

2: Parts are readily available from many sources since the body style remained pretty much the same for 8 years. But for original 240 parts it can get pretty expensive

3: Body rust- places to check, floor pans, rocker panels, bottom of front fenders, rear hatch jambs, around fender lips, and ocassionally the roof where it meets the windshield. Just check your prospective buy thoroughly.

4: Yes and no. It's like any other car so a good mechanic can take care of it, but it does have its quirks so a mechanic who is familiar with Z's is preferred, but they're few and far between. It's a simple enough car that if you're ambitious enough you could do most work yourself with help of a Haynes/Chiltons manual.

5: Definitely a kick arse car for a younger driver, but you better have GREAT defensive driving habits, cuz these things are tin cans and won't hold up worth a damn in a high speed collision.

My advice, get a 280. They're more plentiful, cheaper, and a tad bit safer. Plus not too much work to make them LOOK like a 240.

Originally posted by 5-Speed

Thanks A lot!

A 280 is the 4 seater model?

NO! A 280Z is the model of Z car that was sold (in the USA) from 1975 through 1978. They have a heavier body, larger bumpers, more complex electrics, larger engine and fuel injection.

280Z's are still 2 seaters, although a 280Z 2+2 (4 seater) model was also sold in these same years.

FWIW, regarding reliability...........it all depends on how well the specific car has been cared for in it's lifetime of close to 30 years. A well maintained Z could be very inexpensive to continue to maintain; however a neglected Z can be extremely costly to maintain. Get one in the best possible condition that you can afford.