Steering Rack Bushing, - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Steering Rack Bushing,

Featured Replies

Hi all,

I try to change my driver side steering rack bushing to an urethan one from G-Machine. I'm successless. Whatever I try, at the cut i have a gap of about 1,5 cm. Has the cut-side to be upside or downside? Thanks for your help

Rolf

The cut has to be up and to the back. Mine also has a gap of about 1cm. A little hard to see in this picture but you can make it out.

post-1052-14150793540466_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Ed, thank you. I did it like you did and it looks the same.

Does anyone know whether this is correct? A mistake in the steering could end bad to us so please let us know. At the Codrivers side the bushing matched properly.

Rolf

that's how it can be....wouldn't worry about it...something that helps when first putting it on is to dowse it with hairspray, makes it really slippery putting it in, and then when the hairspray dries it's like glue.....unless the item is oem, you will probably have a gap, no biggie, just make sure it's clamped down good!

If I remember correctly clamping it down will compress it so there's little or no gap.

Cheers, Peter

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I don't think the gap matters but I purchased my urethane rack bushings from MSA in 1997. I just checked them and there is no gap.

What do you guys think about putting the bushing in some hot water for a bit then massaging it until there is no gap then clamping it down? Would the hot water soften the bushing up enough?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.