240K 5spd - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

240K 5spd

Featured Replies

Gday you lot.

I am going to check out a rusty grs30 in the next few days with the hope that it will be a gearbox donor for my project.

I have not seen the car yet but the owner tells me that it has an L28 and a 5 speed. He said that another prospective buyer looked at the car after turning the crank manually he told him that the gearbox was from a 240K not a 260z.

I have two questions.

1. How can I identify the type of gearbox fitted to the car.

2. Is there anything wrong with a 240K box, I work with an older ex mechanic who did a ton of 240z/k 5speed conversions in the 80's. He believes that the K box is actually stronger.

I have no idea and would appreciate any advice.

ok best way to tell is the position of the oil filler plug on the side will be on the left hand side or passenger side of the car.

The main problem with the K box is the ratios there not ideal especially for racing. Other than that there's nothing really wrong with them.

I don't know how by turning the crank he knew the only other way to tell is with the box out you check turns at the shaft compared with those at the back of the box.

I sold mine to Alfa so maybe he can confirm the oil filler plug location.

:cheeky:

  • Author

Thanks Gav. I am checking it out tomorrow

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.