IGNORED

73' 240 Intake/Exhaust Gasket

SoCalZ

:(:( My IN/OUT gasket on my 73 240 has given way to blow by in a couple of spots, it was a new gasket and the manifold is straight as far as i can tell with a straight edge. It was prob caused by it not being properly torqued down. What is the proper torque for Exhaust/Intake? Is there a seq. to the tighting? What is a good gasket to use and where to get? Do the bolts and nuts need too to be grade bolts and nuts and any tips for the install? Thanks in advance for the answer to my 1000 ?'s

The haynes manual says 8lb/ft.Factory gaskets work fine for stock exhaust.If you have a header or a very slight warp then use a header gasket,their a little thicker and more "forgiving".Of course make sure all surfaces are clean.Then liquid wrench the bolts and studs.Screw all nuts/bolt on without the manifolds.Sometimes worn/damaged/rusted threads cause your wrench to stop before the part is truly tight.Making certain all threads are good will eliminate this .Snug all bolts/nuts on first pass,then work from the center out in an x fashion.Drive car to normal temp and allow to cool .Recheck bolts/nuts.CAUTION,If you overtighten a hot bolt it can sieze/break as it contracts when it cools. Have FUN!! Daniel