IGNORED

Accelerator Linkage

jmkm000

I have a '72 240. I need to replace the accelerator boot but I'm not sure how to tale the linkage apart to do this. Also after I'v accomplished this what do I use t secure the boot to the firewall?

Thanks.

throttle linkage just pops off put a screw driver between end of linkage and throttle and prise it off as for the boot from memory it has a groove around it which fits into the hole in the firewall and holds it in place

Mick

I like to slide a small needlenose plier between the metal and the plastic ball.That puts even pressure and snaps it right off.Wrap a piece of string around the channel that is going to seat in the firewall.Feed the string thru the firewall hole and start the rubber lip in the hole, have someone hold the boot in place.From inside the car when you pull the string it will pull the rubber into the car.Cool huh?

use some weatherstrip cement to attach the boot to the firewall, Worked great on my 280z, plus when youre removing the linkage, remember to use constant, contrrolled pressure on the ball and link or else it might snap off. it'll be tough at first but it WILL come off.