IGNORED

My Battery has spewed out acid

24OZ

Its a new battery as well! I was told that it could have occured due to too much power going into it. I have yet to check it out on a voltmeter but will do. The alternator may be charging to much so I'll check it doesn't go over 15V (is that right?)

It was really quite a shock to find white powdery stuff on the engine bay, I really want to sort thisout asap.

Has anyone got any other suggestions.

Thanks

It may not be the voltage but rather the length of time the voltage is supplied.The voltage regulator is what switches the voltage on and off.If its good ,check the connector that the regulator plugs into.Find the white only wire(others are say white with red stripe).Make certain you have continuity across the connector.That is the switch off wire.A perfect regulator will overcharge the battery without that connection.One batteryand one voltage regulator later---I learned the hard way.

Daniel,

Thanks for the info.

I hear what your saying about the regulator, my 240Z came with the L28 when I purchased it. I think the aternator has a built in regulator, thats if its the L28's alternator. The L24 hasn't, is that right? But it has an external one instead. All stuff I've read on other sites.

So you saying that the regulator may not be functioning properly, i.e it doesn't turn off within a stipulated amount of time. Any easy ways of testing this?

Thanks again for making things much more clearer.

The L28 280z type alternator is the same as a L24.It just supplies a higher ampere charge.It has external voltage regulator.The L28 280zx type might be internal.A dealer/auto shop has the equipment to check either.If yours is internal it's a swap unit deal.If external it will be a square forward of the battery,near the trouble light.Check the connector.If all is well,replace the regulator.I must assume yours is almost 30 years old,It can't hurt.The regulator monitors the battery and switches current to it when needed to keep it fully charged.Yours is not switching off.This is boiling the battery.It is dangerous/explosive.Your battery is now of questionable dependability.Wear a face shield when you replace it.Abused batteries can do unexpected things.Let me know the results..Have fun!