IGNORED

Stainless Brake Lines are on Fire!

byunique

Yeah, one day my buddy Bert and I were driving our Zs up this road and smelled like my car was on fire. $hit I thought, I gotta pull over ASAP and pull out the fire extinguisher. I hit the brakes and found they went to the floor!. Oh man, luckily it was uphill, so car slowed down in a little bit. After it slowed down, I jammed on the emergency brake to halt the car. I saw the smoke come out of the rear of the car, and thought what kind of fire was that? I could see there was brake fluid gushing out to the floor and my steel braided brake line was on fire. I yelled to my buddy that my car was on fire, and he was just kind of dumbfounded because a fire should not start at the rear of the car. I pulled out the fire extinguisher and just put it out before anything worse happened. I then popped the hood and found out the generator ground wire had melted it's sheathing because of extreme heat. I thought what was going on? After taking a look around for a minute or so, I found out the the new battery I had put in a few days ago had slid and the (+) terminal had grounded out to the battery bracket on the car. The new battery was undersize of the battery bracket so, it had room to move and they way I had installed the battery would allow the terminal to touch the side of the bracket. At that point, the light bulb in my head came on!! Yeah, the battery shorted out and the current took the path of least resistance and that happed to be the stainless steel brake lines and the generator ground. Ouch!!!, a embarassing moment, but luckily I was prepared with a extinguisher.

Brandon