fuel gauge/sending unit - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

fuel gauge/sending unit

Featured Replies

I dropped my gas tank for cleaning. The fuel gauge hasn't worked in a while. Checking the sending unit I'm getting ohm readings close to spec plus fluctuation from full to empty. Back at the tank area upon doing the gauge check by grounding the yellow (live), the gauge is supposed to bury the needle, nothing happens. Connecting the hot and ground to the meter I'm getting continuity reading. From those indications it appears I need a new gauge. Rebuilt are $200 which I will get if what I'm doing I is correct. Are there any other tests available?

  • 5 weeks later...
  • Author

Dropped the fuel/amp gauge off at Z Car Source (they are available via the web) in Phoenix. They recommended doing a rebuild to assure compatibility with the wiring versus buying a used unit. They shipped the completed gauge back to me within a day. I installed the now cleaned tank and gauge, filled the tank and hurray!... the gauge now works. It actually reads full for the first time in years! The cost of the rebuild after many frustrating years was worth it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.