IGNORED

Trouble running

maton_acoustic

Since I bought my z as a project all I've been doing is rust repair so I've never really driven the car. Every now and then I start it up with the choke fully open and it'll run for a while at around 1000rpm and then it'll die. And then wont really start with the choke on or off. I installed a crane electronic ignition kit along with new plugs and leads etc, and the timings between 5-10 tdc.

At the moment the throttle idle screws on both carbs are backed out completely, if I screw them in a whole turn like I've read to the car won't start. The fuel mixture screws were screwed all the way up and then both taken back 2 turns. (the throttle linkage is disconnected)

I thought that the car was running lean because when I lifted the lifting pins on the carbs the engine idle dropped so I put a colour tune on while the choke was on (because the car won't run otherwise) and the combustion was orange. One of the reasons I bought the vehicle was to learn but I'm guessing I should take the carbs to be serviced by someone who knows what they're doing.

Anyway it's left me confused, and I'm looking for some advice. Thanks

Will the car run on ether (starting fluid?) Also, how old is the fuel? Old fuel does not work very well.

Assuming the fuel is fresh it sounds like it is too lean. Check fuel delivery and pressure. Next, check the float adjustment. If that checks out then look for vacuum leaks.

Are the carbs the early round-top style?