IGNORED

Maxima 5-Speed Transmission Question

venom42

After hours of searching and obsessing, I have almost decided to swap my close-ratio 81-83 5-speed for a rebuilt 77-79 box. I have the stock 3.54 differential and want acceleration similar to the original 4-speed, but still want to be able to drive on the highway in Atlanta without revving the crap out of the engine (85-95 mph). However, I have read a couple of threads touting the Maxima 5-speed box due to the issues with the bolt backing out on the early 5-speeds and the higher 5th gear. However, from what I have seen, they say to get the 83-84 transmission. When I did a parts search search (Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market - GREAT site), it appears the 82 box is the same as the 83-84? I can get one locally for $200 that is from a 1982. What I need to know is this:

• What years from the Maxima 5-speed would work?
  • Are the Maxima ratios the same across the years that work?
  • Is the Maxima box really better than the early 5-speed (wide ratio) box?