IGNORED

Economics of Parting out a '82 280ZX

Can anyone give me an idea of the economics of parting out a 280ZX?

Worked out good or dumbest thing you ever tried?

Saw a '82 2+2 today, smashed on one side, 220K miles, at a car repair shop. It appears to have been sitting for several years. Lots of insect nests. Hood is straight, and I might go for the rear bumper. Alloy wheels look like they'd clean up. Very original, glass t-tops, original dash, etc.

What else on these cars will bring any appreciable $? I can't imagine a 220K mile engine or 5 speed is of much interest to anyone.

Assuming I could sell the remaining steel to a junkyard for $200, what's it worth? $400? $500?

If anything on it is worth $50 or more to you, let me know.

It's too far away to tow home, so I'd have to take a trip and strip anything I thought might be e-bayable.

Tranny is worth around $200 (if manual), Motor maybe $150 to someone. Beyond that you'll have to wait for the right person to come along that happens to need the specific part. I guess it depends if you have the space, time and money.