IGNORED

Heat output of electronic modules

trogdor1138

My engine's out for rebuild at the moment, but I figure that with a "new" engine I may as well go to electronic ignition at the same time. My '79 N42 block came with the electronic distributor and E12-80 module intact, so I plan to use that when I install into my '71 240Z. I also found a CraneCams HI-6 ignition at a great price and I'm using this unit.

I want to keep the engine bay as original as possible though and so I want to setup the control in the cabin. I don't keep much in the glove box so I was thinking that would be a great location; out of sight most of the time with easy access when necessary. My only concern is the heat output of the module when in use, especially since it looks like the casing is also intended as a heat sink.

Can anyone with this unit, or similar MSD-style ignitions, comment on their operating temperature? I'd hate to install it inside the box only to destroy my dash or the unit.