IGNORED

Cold start troubles redux

jaltman

There was a thread sometime back on cold start troubles and whether it was carb or electrical etc etc. My 73 240z has gotten harder and harder to start when cold. Cold is a relative item here, south of the Mason-Dixon line, it has only been below freezing a couple times this year.

Nonetheless I went out to drive the z yesterday and it would not fire off. It would start to fire, but would not catch. Finally, I had killed the battery and quit, got into the 1980 TR8 and went to work.

I got new SU's from z-therapy last summer and they have been, otherwise, great. I redid points plugs, wires, condensor, etc last fall. The only virgin thing in the car from when I bought it a couple years ago was the coil.

So I went to O'Reily's and poped $21.99 for brand new 'made in china' coil. Ploped it in and BAM! Fired right up. I mean instantly.

So, I hate to quote old wives tales, but 90% of all carburettor problems are electrical in nature.