IGNORED

Needs radiator for my Z, where and which to buy

Dyipney_Driver

First off, I do apologize for my noob question (i know, so you dont need to repeat it to me). After a month of my z being neglected, i was finally (my mechanic neighbor actually) able to get the engine running. He told me that i need a water pump and a radiator. He got me a water pump for $20 but cannot find a radiator. My question is, living in the inland empire (San Bernardino County California), where temps are regularly at 90-105, what radiator should i get? I've always told myself that I'm only gonna upgrade to something better and modern (since I'm not looking into restoring this particular z) whenever a certain part craps out on me. I'm looking for a local southern california store where i can pick it up personally. hopefully I'll be able to drive it to the dmv this weekend (After i bought it, the last time it was registered was in 92). anyway, thank you and i appreciate everyone's future input

Congratulations getting the Z running. Since you claim to be a noob, I would suggest that when you are looking for help that you always place the model and year of your Z in the message or you could put it in the signature line.

Now for your answer, you can get a radiator shipped to you for ~$150 from any number of places. You could try 1800Radiators or Radiator.com. You could go for an Aluminum 4 Row for a little more $$. I am absolutely certain that you could find a good radiator shop to rework your existing one in SB County. Are you close to Orange? You can get an aluminum one from MSA. Here is a link: http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?

Since you said that you would not be restoring this Z, I would go for the local Rad Shop approach.

Its a 72 with an automatic and missing ac compressor with rust at the usual places. ( http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/album.php?albumid=436 ) I got a quote for $2800 (friend of friend discount) to get the whole car painted and all the rust removed and turn signals, emblems, antenna and rain gutters shaved and covered for the smooth look. i just have to remove everything thats attached to the body (powertrain, suspension, glass, interior etc). anyway, i may just have to go with msa since its the preferred vendor . i'll just sell the rad if i ever upgrade to a different engine/trans (when it dies on me). thanks for the reply

Yeah i'd go with the Aluminum Rad and Chrome Electric Fan from MSA. Can't go wrong with that ;) . And get a new Thermostate that they recommend for use with that Rad in your heat too. And ask about mounting brackets for the Electric fan. My Z runs this set up and it never goes part halfway on the Temp Gauge and is Burried to the Left on the Freeways :)