IGNORED

left rear turnsignal blinks when right turnsignal is on

dave71240z

I know another turnsignal problem. I have read many thread but didnt find one with this problem. Picked up a 71 240 on sunday. Build Date of 8/70. headlights work, tail lights work, all running lights work, hazards work, but when you turn on the left turnsignal the front and inside signal show you turning left but the right rear is blinking instead of the left. When turning on the right turn signal then right front and inside signal show you turning right but the left rear is blinking instead of the right. Looked at the wiring behine the rear plastic panel and didnt look like any changed any thing. Took the turnsignal switch apart and didnt see any thing wrong. Cleaned the contacts put it back together still same problem. May it be the hazard switch? Also dash lights are dim at night. Yes I turned the dimmer switch just not very bright on all gauges. Will a higher output alternator help? Thanks Dave

The wires for the brake lights / turn signal run through several connectors along the way between the combination switch and the back of the car. The left and right might be reversed in one of the connector shells.

Get a copy of the factory service manual from http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html and try tracing wire path to see where the reversal occurs.

You were right. I look all over tracing the wires found nothing crossed or wrong. I call the man I got it from and he told me he rebuilt the turnsignal switch. I took it apart and didnt find any thing wrong. When plugging it back in it didnt work at all. I played with the connection it began to work again but still the wrong lights blinking in the rear.Found one of the wires was lose in the plug. Thats when I though the wires may have come out of the connector for him. I looked at a picture of another switch and found two wires were crossed in the connector. I switched them. It works right now. Thanks for the idea.