IGNORED

Fuel pump and Relay problem

Brae

ok so i checked the AAR and it was bad, but now im still wondering how to fix the wires that go to the fuel pump from the relay. Do you happen to have a diagram or pictures showing how to make a fuel pump cut off switch or bookmark saved. Thanks

Download the FSM for your car (www.xenons30.com), and/or refer to the schematic Blue posted in this thread. The FSM diagram will show color codes. Follow the color-coded wires from point to point. I believe there should be a wire from your relay to the firewall connector and then another from that connector to the fuel pump. Unplug your relay, disconnect the firewall connector, and disconnect your fuel pump. Check continuity separately for both lengths of wire. Also check for shorts to ground. You should quickly discover where the problem lies. You might have to unwrap some of the wiring harness to find the problem, once you narrow down where it is.

If you want a fuel pump cut-off switch (e.g. as an anti-theft defeat switch?), buy a DPST or DPDT switch from Radio Shack. Use the switch to interrupt both wires 76 and 36 (each with its own pole of the switch), as shown in Blue's diagram. If none of this makes sense to you, I'd advise not attempting it.

So I found the wire, fixed the one that was disconnected and had it's color changed.car runs now but after about 1 minute it stopped,i think it's because the idle was so low, like around 400.it ran again after , just low idle.what should I set the idle to.

about 800 (assuming you have a manual transmission) If your idle is not steady and reliable, you might need to tweak it just a bit higher.

Just curious -- Why had the wire become disconnected? (Enquiring minds.... ;))

Edited by FastWoman

Wellthe connector that goes from after the relay then goes in dash then around ca, the green wire had been cut or missing on the side near the fuse box, and I noticed a yellow wire not connecting anywhere so I followes it to the next connection and ur turned a green wire.the previous owner must of tried to make a switch but never finished it.after several continuity tests I found thats the wire I'm looking for so I cut the wire on connector near relay and added it, then it ran .sorry if you dont understand this, but I took a picture I'll post later then this wall of text will make sense. My csv and air regulator should probably be fixed before I change my idle right?

Edited by Brae