IGNORED

77' 280Z Sitting for eight Years

Threehz

Hello Classic Zcar Club, been checking out things on here for a little over a week now and it looks like a great site!

Ok so here's the deal, I've never owned a Z car before, but it's been my dream since I was a kid and now it looks like I'm going to finally make it a reality. I found a 1977 280Z, 2 seater, still has original paint and the exterior seems to be a pretty good condition. I haven't yet taken a close look at it but in a few hours I'm going to head over and check it out in detail. It has been sitting under a ramada for eight years without being driven. The tires are flat, but it looks to be in pretty good condition, we'll see though. It was in perfect running condition eight years ago when the owner injured his hip in a car accident (the Z wasn't in the accident). So his hip prevented him from getting in the car because it's so low to the ground and that's the story as to why it's been sitting.

I live in Tucson, AZ so we don't have rust issues with salt, or LOTS of rain/water but any car this old is bound to have some rust. Now I've been doing a lot of research and found some good sources for what to look for in an old car like this and what rust areas are key to spot out and investigate. However I like to gather as much information as possible before doing anything.

So what should I look for?

What areas are the worst areas to have rust on?

Where will rust be hiding?

Will it sitting on flat tires for some years cause any other problems?

Anything else anyone can think of that I should look for while I'm there will help me a lot!

I'll probably be showing up a lot on these forums, especially once I get my Z because I'm completely new to this hobby. So if anyone has some really useful sites or resources for restoring cars, Z car information, or anything else automotive hobbyist related I'd love to hear it! Thanks!

Since you've been reading here a lot, you already know the typical rust-prone areas, i.e. battery tray and under it, floorboards, etc.

If you do succeed in acquiring the car, air up the tires and trailer it home. DO NOT attempt to start the car where it is 'cause you've got a lot of work to do before even thinking about doing that.

Your first items of recovery will be the fuel system, cooling system, braking system, electrical system... and not necessarily in that order, but all of them need to be fully functional before you decide to turn the key for real. A lot of work lies ahead of you, but I know you'll enjoy every busted knuckle!

Yeah that's my plan, replace all hoses and rubber items, flush all fluid systems out thoroughly, I'm also guessing rats or mice have gotten to the wiring which is gonna be a bugger but at least it will be a fresh start. So brake system will definitely need replacing?

Since we're on this track, what EXACTLY will definitely need replacing after sitting this long. Fuel system obviously and you said cooling, brakes, electrical (wires? computer? fuses & sparks plugs definitely).

Yeah I found them a bit ago and that will definitely prove to be a valuable resource! Thanks for the info, what part of Az are you in? I've also seen that there is Z Car Source, Z shop up in phoenix which will be very helpful, along with the Arizonazcar who make specific z car products and I've heard they are high quality.

Well I'm going to rebuild the car myself with the help of books and anyone willing to help. Are you a member of DZA? It says you can get discounts from a bunch of dealers, including zcarsource.

Back on track of the original post, I went and checked out the car yesterday and it turns out it's in much better shape then I expected. There is barely any rust and the rust that is present is minor surface rust. It's still going to need a lot of work, however the exterior and interior are in pretty good shape. It still has original paint and it's in great condition for being 34 years old. Turns out it is the manual, 5-speed YEE-HAW! So hopefully in a couple month's it'll be mine and I'll get pictures up and a lot more info and the journey shall begin!

@az240z, I saw you've had a couple Z's, a 78 and 77 280 and I'm wondering if either one was close to the condition mine was when you got it, as in had either been sitting for a long period of time?

No most all the z's I've bought were in running condition, although some needed work. Most were bought to be fixed and sold. MY 78 has been down for 10 years but it is just a chassis. I'm in the process of trying to get it put together. If you need a harness be sure you get one that matches what was in the car. On the other hand I may have a complete harness from a 77 available. Did you pull up the carpet and check the floor boards, look under the car at the frame rails, pull the battery and look at the battery tray and surrounding area and under the tray?

There's a lot of info you can get from here and at zcar.com. Search is your best friend. Also look up xenon's site and download the FSM [factory service manual] and the fuel injection bible.

Also get contact the local z cub.

Edited by az240z

By harness do you mean the engine wire hardness? I may actually be very interested in that, I'll have to check it out when I get the car.

I checked it out as thoroughly as I could and it looked really good, all the key areas, under and around the battery, frame rails, floor boards all looked great.

Awesome thanks for all the great info!