IGNORED

header intake mismatch

IdahoKidd

I have a pacesetter header with a flange that is thinner than that of the intakes (SU's). I have seen stagered compression washers on other vehicles, but what are you folks using to make the header work with the intake? A solution would be to mill down the intake side, but that becomes a one way street in the event of reverting back. Any suggestions or what has worked for you?

Thanks,

Leonard

The pacesetter header is a comedy of errors, like the Pontiac Aztec. How in hell did it make it into production and even more rediculous is how it stayed in production. The only thing more usless is a pet rock. The first time I used the pacesetter I did not notice the thin flange until I tried to install it, but since the engine was on the stand and I wasn't in a rush I just ground down one side of the washer to make it rest evenly, but with very limited sucess. It leaked pretty bad so I replaced it with a tri mil, no leaks for going on seven years.

I didn't know it was a pacesetter when I bought it (new in box on CL for $50). I came up with a solution. Don't know it is the right one but it appears to work (visually). I took some 1/4 key stock, heated and formed it into a U and welded it on. In theory, there is enough pressure all the way around the pipe that it will seal. Had a &%$#! of a time getting the nuts on the studs and had to notch the compression washers to get past the pipe as well. If the engine weren't on the stand and I could turn it flat, I don't know that I could ever have gotten it all in place. Just this weekend my car budget envelope (ala Dave Ramsey for all of you on the plan) has enough in it to get the carbs from Bruce at Z therapy. I definately will put it all together before dropping the engine in place.

I had the same bloody problem with a Pacesetter Header. When I was putting my engine back together, I did a dry fit to see how it all matched up and noticed a 5mm offset on one of the tubes from the Exhaust Port. What a POS! I went back with the original manifold. In the future, I would like to make up my own flange and re-weld the tubes in the correct configuration - or just throw the hole mess in the scrap bin. It has been years and it still pisses me off :mad:.

Pacesetter = Wasted Time and Money!