IGNORED

AC Comp clutch assy ?

kjphilippona

Hi, i know this is not related to the Z, but all compressors are built the same and with the Z a lot of rebuilding of original parts have to be done. My son has an '03 cooper s and we replaced the ac compressor last year with a reman unit. last week he called and told me there was a large bang from the engine compartment while taking off from a light and the ac started blowing hot air. When i inspected the unit i noticed that the clutch assembly had come off, i have the compressor unit that was removed earlier and it has the clutch assembly, could i just remove this clutch and install it onto the one on the car ?

Hi, i know this is not related to the Z, but all compressors are built the same and with the Z a lot of rebuilding of original parts have to be done. My son has an '03 cooper s and we replaced the ac compressor last year with a reman unit. last week he called and told me there was a large bang from the engine compartment while taking off from a light and the ac started blowing hot air. When i inspected the unit i noticed that the clutch assembly had come off, i have the compressor unit that was removed earlier and it has the clutch assembly, could i just remove this clutch and install it onto the one on the car ?

You could probably use your other clutch, but I advise you to return the re-manufactured unit to the supplier, unless the unit came without a clutch assy. It is important that you check the compressor to make sure that it is not seized up - but that really would not have contributed to the clutch coming off since they are reverse threaded.

More than likely, your AC Compressor Clutch did not have appropriate thread locking compound applied prior to being properly torqued to spec. It worked its way off (always at the most inconvenient time).

Take it back and get another one.

Good luck..