IGNORED

Timing off 180 Degrees but runs decent

JohnnyO

Yeah' date=' no problem. There is always contradictory information in threads that's is why I go through as many as I can before I make a decision on a repair.

Thanks for all the input. I haven't messed with the dizzy advance yet. I balanced the carbs after getting the timing straight yesterday and I am now idling at about 1100 rpms. I think if I tweak the timing I should be able to get it down to around 800.

John[/quote']

Can I just catch you on that last thought John.

If your idling now at 1100rpm with the timing right, don't undo your work by backing off the timing....this is counterintuitive.

What you need to do is adjust your idle speed via the idle speed screws to drop it down to 800 or so rpm. Keep your new timing as it is.

Maybe that's what you meant, I'm just not sure by the way you worded it.

Cheers.

Yeah, I thought my thinking was off a little. When I balanced the carbs I couldn't get the airflow to sync when I backed down the idle screws. My unisyn wouldn't even float when it was backed down below 1000 rpms. I adjusted the flow meter all the way in to create more of a venturi affect but it did not help.

I think I need to buy a new flow meter. Mine is about 25 years old an a little beat up.

I will get one from MSA and give it another go next weekend.

Thanks for the tip.