IGNORED

car dies at idle sometimes

Esc8p2NeverLand

does it run better or worse with the air cleaner off? Try creating a lot of vacuum leak and see if it changes anything. Try jumpering the resistor to get full voltage spark.

If it runs fine with the air cleaner off and the vacuum lines open, then your mixture is off and fouling plugs. If it runs better with the resistor jumpered you have weak ignition.

When you turn the choke off make sure you push up on the nozzles, they tend to stick.

With old cars its likely a combination of things. Mine runs HORRIBLE with sooty plugs and will die.

You CAN clean up fouled plugs. Dont be silly and buy new plugs everytime a little bit of petrol splashes on them. Best way is a torch, burn off crud. You can also use sandpaper. I've even had success with carb cleaner and a rag wrapped around a thin screwdriver.

Edited by Z-Luke

I cleaned the carbs with cleaner and reset the linkages. Seems to have helped some bit. A good amount of "brown" came out of them. No it'll hold idle fine, but I still get inconsistent idle rpm readings. At first it'll sit nicely at 700 rpm, but after driving it'll idle at 1000-1100. And then when I get into traffic it'll get back down to around 700-900 rpm.

Maybe I need to clean them some more.

Sounds like a classic heat soak issue to me. No air moving though the engine bay at idle, means all the heat from the headers or manifold is possibly boiling the fuel in the float bowls. A header blanket or better heat shield may solve the issue.

It does have a heat shield (previous owner made it), but I'll try wrapping the header.

Thanks!