IGNORED

1975 280z wont start

Matt Reszel

I went to start my car and it backfired slighly and now it just turns over and doesnt start at all. I pulled a plug out and im getting spark, and the plug had a little gas on it so im sure im getting fuel. I pulled the valve cover off and the timing chain is on and looks fine, cam is spinning. Is there a sensor or possibly pcv valve (i CANT FIND THE PCV VALVE to replace it, I bought one a year ago)giving me a problem?My car just turns over and doesnt fire at all.Any ideas pease reply,thanx

not starting issue. seems to be going around.

well, if it were my car i woudl start at making sure it was getting air, and reading air flow (troubleshooting - to combust need 3 things, fuel, spark, and air) this is assuming that the fuel and spark really are ok. note - if air is flowing ok then the fuel and spark assumption gets thrown out.

if checking air, test the AFM per FSM. (Air Flow Meter/Factory Service Manual)

also check air filter.

have you checked fusebox/fuses/fusible links?

are relays working?

there are alot of other things to check based on what assumptions are made. you had a backfire, so it could be you need to check timing with a light to be sure everything is firing when it should.

and finally ... fasten the seatbelt when tryign to start. dont know if a 75 has the interlock thing, or if it is connected, but it can't hurt.

Also I am not a master mechanic, so hopefully others will chime in. I wanted to respond as you're pretty close to my neck of the woods. (in comparison to others on the board)

:) good luck