IGNORED

cold start value check

rick1946

Hey guys,

I have a problem with my 280 77 model. Have been getting to much fuel. I just redone the head and put timing chain on. Still having problem with rich fuel intake. Not sure if I have wiring correct to the Thermotime switch and other senors, but believe I do have it right. The only thing that is bothering me about the wiring is the cold start neg. side seems to be the positive side or getting the current, if I am looking at it correct. When I start up the Z, I get gray smoke out the exhaust and has a gas smelling ordor. There is some moisture coming out the exhaust pipe. It starts with a light spray,then drip to the size of a small orange on the ground. Once the engine heats up the smoke stops and the moisture. Is there anyway to check the cold start value? I am thinking it has never been replaced or the Thermotime switch. Any suggestions at this point are very welcome.

Thanks,

rick

Edited by rick1946

I am not that well versed on this but I do remember checking my cold start valve to ensure it is operating correctly. You need to get a hold of what is commonly referred to as the Fuel Injection Bible. It is an easy read for the first couple chapters, explaining the system and what each part does in conjunction with the next part, very helpful. Then it goes onto testing different aspects of the f.i. system.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/EFI&fuel.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will find a link to a .pdf file.

Thanks, MEZZZ,

I downloaded the file and will check it out.

Yes, I know what you mean about putting back together. I have taken mine apart a few times. I let it sit for about 3 years, and everything went to the dogs. Now I am having to work my way back to a good running Z. I am almost there. I have just a small problem and if I have to, it will be taken to the Nissan dealer to analyze. I have replaced just about everything. When this car is right, it flies. Thank you for the info.

You are welcome. Ive had mine for 3 + years now as well. Finally got the motor running decent, I did the "must be this part" thing for awhile, got expensive, figured the parts are 30 years old, wouldnt hurt to replace them anyway. I rebuilt the front end and am currently stuck on the rear, too cold in my garage. Need to check into a decent heater unit :) Good luck