IGNORED

Having problems with my bumper conversion

MEZZZ

I ripped off the bumpers on my 280 and am replacing them with the smaller 240 bumpers. I bought a fiberglass front and urethane air dam from MSA. Those went on without any issues. The rear however, I am having problems with.

I pulled my exhaust (replaced it anyway while I was there) and got the strut removed. I couldnt get it through the hole in the back so I cut the mount a bit to get it to come through. There must have been a pound of mud and dirt in that thing!

The passenger side, as many know, mandates the lowering (or Ive been told, complete removal) of the fuel tank. I didnt want to mess with that Sunday, so I simply cut the strut close to the hole. I mounted the brackets I got from here, they work well enough. A bit flimsier than I thought but he said he makes them that way to tweak.

http://www.zccjdm.com/catalog.php/azcarbum/dt81970/pd1790406/280Z_TO_240Z_FF__RR__BUMPER_CONVERSION_BRACKETS_

The problem lies in drilling a new hole in the quarter panel to match up to the 240 bumper. (BTW, I bought a very straight one from a member that is primed and ready for paint, all holes welded up, POR15 on the inside, etc)

The drivers side was no problem, I already had the interior panel off to replace the antenna. The passenger side is the problem. I removed the interior panel and there is a molded steel plate that I dont have on the driver side. I removed the screws and the fuel filler goes through that area and the place I need to get to where I drilled the hole has about 3/4 inch from the body until it hits more steel.

Long story short(sorry, Im trying to be precise), how in the heck can I get a bolt in there? I cant get my fingers in there to angle it into place and I have small hands. I tried using the bolt in the bumper and attaching a nut from the inside. I cant get my fingers in there to hold the nut. Best I could do was hold the nut in place with an open end wrench and tape and try to twist the fender onto it.

Am I missing something here? Like an easier way to complete this? Alot of work but I really like the look as has been discussed on hear ad nauseum.

Edited by MEZZZ