Bad Pickup Coil? - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Bad Pickup Coil?

Featured Replies

Hey guys, I have an early '74 260Z with the stock transistor ignition system (except for MSD Blaster 2 coil) and original distributor.

Today it would crank strong but not start, and I found later that there was no spark. The resistances on the coil were out of spec, so I went ahead and picked up another one. Still didn't start.

So I checked the pickup coil the way I was always taught to: connect an ohmmeter to the connector, then tap the coil lightly and see if the reading changes. And it did: with an initial reading of 727 ohms, it changed about +/- 300 ohms with each tap.

Is that the problem, then? I ask because I've never run into a bad pickup coil before. Are there other tests to run to determine if it's bad?

Hey guys, I have an early '74 260Z with the stock transistor ignition system (except for MSD Blaster 2 coil) and original distributor.

Today it would crank strong but not start, and I found later that there was no spark. The resistances on the coil were out of spec, so I went ahead and picked up another one. Still didn't start.

So I checked the pickup coil the way I was always taught to: connect an ohmmeter to the connector, then tap the coil lightly and see if the reading changes. And it did: with an initial reading of 727 ohms, it changed about +/- 300 ohms with each tap.

Is that the problem, then? I ask because I've never run into a bad pickup coil before. Are there other tests to run to determine if it's bad?

It is quite rare that the coil in a magnetic pickup breaks, but it has happened. A fluctuation of 300 ohms might rather point to a broken cable, have you checked this by moving/tapping on the cable itself? I just had this issue on a Lucas distributor, where the engine would stop for no apparent reasing while driving, we discovered then that the pickup cable leading to the amplifier was broken.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.