IGNORED

REAR Transverse link OEM INNER Bushing alignment questions

PATZ

Hi ALL!

I`d like to pls clarify what the FSM says on p. RA-4 on "Reinstallation" (of Rear Transverse link OEM INNER Bushings)

(2) "Align the projection on the bushing (directed to the axis direction) horizontally."- Would this projection be the 2 fin like projections 180 degrees apart on the bushing? Am i understanding it right that if i looked at the head (FLAT portion) of the transverse link inner bolt, that the "fins" should be positioned (by rotating the bushing) so their at 9 o clock & 3 o clock and would get sorta clamped when the Differential Mount Cross member (FRONT portion of differential) is tightened up and also the same scenario when the Link Mount Rear bracket (REAR portion of differential) is tightened up?

(3) "Align the center of bushing (directed toward the axis direction) to the center of bracket."- Is this done to insure that the convex (curved) portion of the Differential Mount Cross member & of the Link Mount Rear bracket fits into the depression-smaller diameter portion of the Hour glass shaped rubber bushing? Is this a critical step? I asked because i already have the new OEM bushings in but not tightened up yet because i`m still working on this "alignment" step (if i`m understanding it right..) If i'm not able to get the convex portion of the cross member or the rear bracket exactly in the depression of the rubber bushing (say i miss the depression by maybe 2mm.) and tighten it up, then drive the car a bit, could this cause the rubber bushing to hopefully find its proper position? Or might i DESTROY the rubber bushing? I plan on continuing the job in about 12 hours, so any replies ASAP GREATLY APPRECIATED!! THANK YOU! patrick

P.S. We just ordered the bushings overseas (Z CAR SOURCE) and will be greatly inconvenienced if we had to order again...

(2) Correct.

(3) Correct on the alignment. Put everything together loosely and then use a dead blow hammer/brass drift to get the rear caps and the front x-member positioned properly as you snug things down. Sometimes the rear caps get distorted from either over tightening or some years spent clamped on a bad bushing. A little work with a pipe, hammer, and some heat can correct the distortion.