IGNORED

Tachometer stuck 1979 280z

xenotron

Those wires appear to be the ones that would connect to the pickup coil on the stock distributor. Not sure if those would affect your tach. I also notice that the coil has been changed. That could be the cause of the tach problem. In the stock setup there's a blue wire from the - side of the coil and a black/white tracer wire from the + side of the coil. Those two wires are for the tach circuit. Assuming that nothing else has been changed, I'd locate those wires and connect them accordingly. If they're already connected then I'd assume that the tach itself is bad. That is, again, assuming that nothing esle in the tachometer circuit has been cut/changed/removed, etc. What distributor is the one that's presently in your car?

Thanx for the response. I'm not sure which distributer is in there, hell I have been at work too much since i got the car and have not even been able to drive it :(

I will look at it when I get a chance. there is definitly a blue wire there. not positive on the other color wire but checked them both for voltage and found voltage on both !?!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Let me guess - this has happened to me!

The gage assembly had been removed, and tipped upsidedown, causing the tach needle to flip to the extreme - from gravity...

In putting the gage assembly back in, no one rotated the gage assembly to allow gravity to get the needle back to zero!

So the electronics couldn't influence the needle... Too far out of range...

Sound crazy?