IGNORED

Removing the steering pinion assembly

barby27

So I need to know if anyone has developed a trick to removing the steering pinion without causing any damage to it. According to the FSM it says to "Draw steering pinion assembly out" but this pinion is really in there. So if anyone has a method to ease the pain in removing one of these please let me know, I really do not want to damage this.

280z023.jpg

77 280Z

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/babry27/77%20Datsun%20Restoration/?start=all&mediafilter=images

I assume that you have removed the adjusting nut and the spring and the bronze rack retainer? These apply pressure on the rack which side loads the pinion shaft. The pinion shaft bearings are a “light” press fit into the housing. I’ve never had a problem removing the pinion shaft on the three racks I’ve re-built.

I have found if you clamp a pair of vice grips to the pinion shaft splines you can then lever the pinion and bearing out with a pair of flat bladed screwdrivers bearing on the underside of the vice grips.

If you are careful and lever from opposite sides simultaneously, you won't damage anything.

All the above requires that you have already removed any retaining clips from the relevant parts:paranoid:

post-13952-14150803890235_thumb.jpg

I put the steering joint back on and used that as a way to put a 18" crescent wrench against and then used a 18" large standard screwdriver and it came out but really fast and then all of the bearings went flying all over.

Thanks for the tip.

77 280Z

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/babry27/77%20Datsun%20Restoration/?start=all&mediafilter=images