Exhaust down pipe will NOT come loose! - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Exhaust down pipe will NOT come loose!

Featured Replies

I'm doing a clutch on my '85 Turbo and I can't get the exhaust pipe disconnected from the turbo. I've taken off the 3 bolts holding the triangle shaped retaining collar but the pipe won't budge! I've tried jacking it up, pulling side-to-side and spraying it with PB Blaster.

It looks like someone else had the same problem, They left the flange in and welded a pipe back on an inch or so below it. I may have to cut it off.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Put the torch to it. then whack it with an air hammer. then bounce a four foot piece of 4x4 off it a couple times. that worked for me. it is sort of a ball joint that gets really rusted together. Happened on my zx's also the heat plus rattling it with the air hammer all around busted the rust.

  • Author

Yeah, it happened to my 280 ZXT and I ended up pulling the motor with the pipe attached (that was fun!). I tried torching it and levering it with a floor jack handle shoved in the end of the pipe. No luck. I may have to cut it off as I need to get the trans out and can't do that with the pipe there.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.