IGNORED

240K running very rich

Hi

ive got a datsun 240k with a single down draft carb on it which is running rich. the blugs in it are as black as and i have alot of soot in my exhaust. also when you rev it up in neutral and the take your foot of and then rev it again it dumps out a big black smoke cloud. also when your driving it and you roll up to an intersection and stop and then put your foot down to take off (its an auto) if you put your foot down probably more then 1/4 to 1/2 throttle she dies like she floods her self. ive been all over the ignition, timing and everything its all good.

tho i have no idea where to start with carbs. if any one can give me any pointers to go of from what i have explained it would be appreciated.

cheers

mark

I suppose you could check the float level,

make sure the needle and seat are not worn, or have "sh!t" in it,

also you could use compressed air to clean all the "channels" out (fuel and air gallery's)

I take it still using the manual fuel pump, and has not been replaced with a high pressure electric one ?

Nigel

ok i was unsure if the float did alot in these as i saw in the SUs they do. a place to start cheers, also i forgot to mention the previous owner before me rebuilt the carb hence why i needed some pointers to look over to see what he might have done wrong, i have 2 other carbs so i checked their jet sizes vs what was in mine and all were the same so im guessing its must something adjustable some where he hasnt set right. i was thinking the float level might be a good place to start but couldnt find any articles on setting the levels for these carbs just the SU's