Quick Question (Hopefully) - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Quick Question (Hopefully)

Featured Replies

I took the pipe from the brake booster off of the intake manifold and sucked on it. I couldn't make a vacuum, and I could hear the inline valve fluttering. Is my booster leaking, or is it suppose to work that way for some reason. I guessing the boosters got a rust hole in it and that would really explain a lot of things!

If the booster vacuum tank had a hole in it then your engine would be sucking extra air and not running well.

Is this the case or do you have brake problems too?

  • Author
If the booster vacuum tank had a hole in it then your engine would be sucking extra air and not running well.

Is this the case or do you have brake problems too?

Exactly. I'm trying to find the gremlins that are making my car run poorly.

Pinch the hose closed between the manifold and the valve and see if the engine behaves better.

Or remove the hose at the manifold and plug the nipple.

The hose may have a split in it somewhere.

If the booster tank leaks then your brakes won't feel any different with the vacuum hose inoperative.

  • Author
Pinch the hose closed between the manifold and the valve and see if the engine behaves better.

Or remove the hose at the manifold and plug the nipple.

The hose may have a split in it somewhere.

If the booster tank leaks then your brakes won't feel any different with the vacuum hose inoperative.

I removed the booster pipe and plugged the intake port and it ran better, but the brakes were harder to use. I'm guessing it has a small leak in the diaphragm.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.