Pertronix Ignitor for '74 260 - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Pertronix Ignitor for '74 260

Featured Replies

Hey guys, just quickly wanted to find the right part/model number for a Pertronix Ignitor that I want to put in my '74 260. Most of the ones I've seen say they're for 70-73 240's.

Why? Your 260Z already has electronic ignition. And that's why you can't find a Pertronix listing for it.

  • Author

It does? I thought I read they started doing it in '75. I was thinking that's why I couldn't find it...

Nope, 74 260 was the first, and I've even heard, though I can't verify it, that some late 73s had electronic ignition.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

You haven't looked inside your distributor cap? You'll notice-No points. And the ignition module is a metal box located in the passenger side kick panel above the fusebox. 74 was also the first year that the fuse box was located there instead of in the console.

so, there wouldn't be any gain for adding an ignitor or hotter coil? just wondering, thanks.

It already has an ignitor and a hotter coil when compared to a points ignition. If you're talking about an aftermarket distributor and coil that would depend on how the car is used. If you're not racing, the stock setup is more than adequate. It's basically the same system used through 78 but there were slight revisions through the years. In 79 they went to the E12-80 matchbox type with the smaller module on the distributor instead inside the car. My 78 280z has the earlier electronic ignition and my 79 810 has the E12-80. I haven't had problems with either of them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.