IGNORED

Hello... and a few questions!

Sea Squirrel

First of all, as said... Hello. My name's Ben, I'm from the UK and am currently looking at buying a C210 240K Coupe. That's the reason I'm here really as my trawling of the internet's revealed very little information available about these cars, and of course modifiying/improving them. I'm not going to deny that my plans for this car feature a bit of modification, and my appologies to purists for that, but I don't intend to write the car off either. Anything I do to it will be to get it to run/drive better, or at least the way I want.

With this in mind I'd like to ask a few questions concerning the C210 and what can realistically be done with them. Firstly, suspension. In standard form they frankly look like barges. Is this a realistic assessment? (I live quite a way from the car I'm looking at so can't really justify a test drive before hand) One thing I did see that I wanted to check is that aftermarket suspension for an s13 will fit them easily. I assume this isn't the case and so was wondering if there are any widely available coilover sets or spring/damper sets that I'd be able to get my hands on. Saw mention of Spax in part of the forum but couldn't find anything more detailed. Sorry if I'm just not looking hard enough. Secondly, is there anything that can be easily done with the l24e? Are they a tuneable engine or is it worth replacing them with something else? If replacement is on the cards I've seen mention of some RB swaps but would the L28ET be a viable alternative?

Basically any information that people can give me about the car that's going to help would be much appreciated. I'm not a complete n00b to cars, I've owned a fair few and most have been adjusted in some way shape or form, it's just very hard to get hold of concrete information about these cars in the UK as there seems to be fewer than 200 ever available here.

Thanks very much.

Ben

Sorry, just to say what the car is actually going to be used for.

I've got an old school Volvo running as a drift car at the moment and want to build something better. Suspension and steering are the main things I want to look at first. The car's going to get looked after, but it's going to get a damn good using at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know much about the C210 as I have a C110 but from what I understand they are very similar, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are on a small budget I would look at getting a L28 and wacking a little puffer on that, it would bolt right in and have ample power to spin the tyres. In saying that it might cost you a bit to find a l28 and then a lot in parts to build it. Putting in an RB turbo engine would solve the power issues required for drifting and would cost a similar amount as the turbo L28. after all it's just custom engine/gearbox mounts to fit and there are heaps of front cuts available. If you were to buy say a r33 front cut and install the front crossmember engine you would have rack & pinion steering and bettrer brakes suspension for not much more than just getting some mounts made up.

You can apparently put a WRX diff into them as the wrx uses the R180 diff which the c210 comes out with, quite a few people have put the R200 in them without too many difficulties as well. check the other datsun sites in Australia. I was going to put the R200 in mine but went for the R230 as I want supercharged V8 power. One guy I know of has an R200 in a Z with 530hp and it handles it fine so I went a bit overboard putting in the R230.

I've never heard of S13 suspension fitting easily so be wary. I've upgraded my front crossmember/steering to r31 rack & pinion and only now can it accept the S13/14 front lower control arms and struts.

It all depends on how much time and how much money you are willing to spend. Hope this helps

Cheers Andrew

Being on the other side of the world makes this a bit hard but this is my take on it.

Engine - L28's and RB's are pretty hard to source in UK I believe so I'd look at Rover V8's. More parts and expertise available locally, it's light and can produce good power on carbs or FI. Add a blower and hang on.

Gearbox - Getrags etc are more readily available your side, look for suggestions from experts on the engine you settle on.

Rear end - at least an R200, you'll blow any R180 with drifting.

On the other hand, if you want something really psychotic, stuff a Jag V12 in there and add a Paxton blower kit. Yes, a Jag will fit but the radiator goes in front of the support panel and a Davies Craig electric water pump is needed (you don't want to know how I found that out).

Do some fishing around in wrecking yards, there's some surprising stuff out there. Some of the European based gear has real potential with fast parts available close to you. Look into BMW's etc.

Art C