IGNORED

Wiring diagrams '77 280

peterc

I seem to have a short somewhere in the electrical system since the voltmeter continues to read 12 volts even with the key out of the ignition and I get massive overcharging with the engine running (already fried 1 battery).

I think I've isolated the problem though. There are 4 fusible links on the passenger-side inner fender wall. When I remove the one thats closest to the front of the car/farthest from the engine, the voltmeter shows normal charging when the engine is running and drops to zero when the key is removed (just the way it should) and the battery stays charged overnight.

The wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual require an electron microscope to read so I don't know what all runs off this circuit. I do know that the 4 way flashers and the running lights on on it but since they all operate properly (all same intensity, no flickering) I'm thinking the short might lie elsewhere.

Anybody know where to get wiring diagrams that you can actually read or know what else is controlled by this circuit?

I agree with what you said about the Haines cct. diagram and needing an electron microscope.

I cannot answer what your problem may be, but I managed to overcome a similar situation with trying to read the tiny cct. diagram supplied. I solved it by getting hold of a photocopier that prints out A3 sheets and magnified it to that size from A4. Worked out well. Just for good measure I had the sheet laminated and now keep it in my garage as a handy reference. Easy to read and should last for ages.

Cheers

Darryl

:beard: