IGNORED

Brake, Ignition and Carb upgrades?

Seanh

I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the carbs on my 72 240z? I have stock ones, whatever they are I don't know. I could take a picture if theres a problem figuring them out. I want cheap, but descently better performance. I was thinking useing the SU carbs? What all do I need to swap them?

I just put a new cap, rotor, wires and plugs on my car also. But I would like to upgrade to electronic ignition from the later 280z's instead of points. How can I go about doing this, what do I need? Also can I put a high performance coil on it also, what brand and where can I get it?

And lastly, Brakes. They are in need of atleast new pads/shoes. I'v read alot about useing toyota 4 piston calipers. Were can I get more information about this? would it be worth my time to do? how much work is it? Thanks!

If you go to this web site www.zccw.org they have a blurb on brakes and several mods. Also, if you do a search on '240z brake conversions' on google or something like it you'll get a bunch of hits. I have the toyota calipers on my Z and they work great. I was a little skeptical at first about doing it but now having done it, it's a no brainer IMO. It's a pretty easy mod if you have everything before starting.

I bought my calipers from Checker, complete with pads (this way you get the clips you need for the pads) for a toyota pickup btwn 80'-85' 4wd and got pads from porterfield (about $85). That was about $160 for the two. If I ever return my Z calipers I'll get some money back. I also installed Stainless steel lines on all corners ($65) and went to dot 4 brake fluid. The biggest pain is cutting the back dust plate and reconfiguring the 'S' line to the caliper. I did not change the master cylinder or lines to it. Everything works great. I can lock them up pretty easily if need be. I couldn't before the change.

Some people don't care for the porterfield pads. There are other pads available but I haven't the experience with them to tell you what works and doesn't work. Others on this site can help there.

If you have all the parts it will take you a half day depending on expertise, tools, etc. It should be noted that I do not race my car (except crappy ricers I find while driving around) on track, it's mostly a weekend fun car. Depending on your use you may need to consider further upgrades beyond what I described. MSA sells a kit for about twice this amount but why pay the extra when this setup works pretty well?

Have fun.