IGNORED

rust remedy??

skinnyboy

This is my first post, and i would like to say this site is great, its been a big help already, and I only discovered it 2 weeks ago. Last month I bought a 73 240z, and I love it. It is my second zcar, first was an 81 280zx, I enjoy the earlier models much more. Anyway, my driverside window doesnt close properly, and I am putting a new regulator in this week, but water has already done its damage to the driverside floorboard. The rear hatch also leaks a bit in bad rain, I still need to check out the damage there. My question is, what is the best way to fix the problem? I would like to patch it with new sheet metal, but would appreciate any advice before i begin. Again, I appreciate the help.

There are several sources for replacement floor pans for the early z's. Zedd Findings offers them @ http://web.ctsolutions.com/zeddfind/ and Motorsport Auto offers them @ http://www.zcarparts.com. They only sell them in a pair that will repair both sides. If your damage is just isolated to the driver's side you may just want to patch it with new sheet metal. There is a brief descrition of the replacement process in Wick Humble's book "How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car". Check with Amazon.com they typically stock this book. Wick also wrote a new article that is in the on-line issue of Zcar Magazine @ www.zcarmag.com. The web site was down when I wrote this, I hope it's just a temporary thing. I do have a copy of the article if you can't retrieve it from the web site. The replacement or repair process is quite involved and unless you have the ability to fabricate & weld sheet metal you may want to speak with a body shop about the work. I am currently restoring my 1972 and have been working on the floors for longer than I dreamed possible. Good luck.

------------------

Jeff McElyea

1972 240Z

jmcelyea@nassal.com

Thanks for the advice... I may go ahead and replace both sides while I am at it, I visited Zedd Findings, and I think I will also buy the book you mentioned. Since I first posted my first message, I have had two other 240's offered to me, one of them free, one that has been garaged for the last 15 years. Hopefully, the garaged one isnt rusted, but my luck it will be too. Again, thaks for the advice, I had never seen the Zedd site b4 you mentioned it.