IGNORED

fuel system diagram - 240Z

angels2ksmf

My son has a 240Z chassis, a 280Z motor, and a body conversion kit, and no manual we have ever seen has a fuel system diagram that even looks close to what he has. I suspect most of the connections in the back are still pretty stock 240Z. It has a small overflow tank in the trunk with three connections on it, the main gas tank has two large hoses and three small hoses coming out of it (in addition to the main filler hose), and 3 fuel lines go up to the front of the car. All the hoses were rotting / splitting in the back, and letting fumes get into the car, so he took the whole thing apart without making a diagram of which hose went where. Also, to the best of our knowledge, the output from the fuel pump seems to go through a pressure regulator and then to the overflow tank, which makes no sense to me - seems like the fuel pump needs to create pressure that goes to the injectors, not the overflow tank. Anyone got a diagram that might help, or any other helpful ideas? If nothing else, it would be very helpful if someone could describe what each connection on the overflow tank does, and what each connection on the main tank does.

Thanks for any help!

Angels2KSMF

The tank you refer to is actually known as an expansion tank or vapor tank. All of the braided hoses inside the hatch area are vent hoses. They're all just for vapors. Excess fuel is returned to the tank from the engine but that goes back into the main tank near where the outlet is. I suggest that you get a factory service manual which has a good diagram of the whole system.