IGNORED

How to check coil & wiring?

BadDog

My ignition is cutting out, sometimes hot, sometimes cold. Sometime it'll run for 2 minutes, sometimes 45 minutes. After about 10 minutes, the car will start again. I thought I had it figured out last week when I noticed a semi-loose connection for the coil, the + wire. That wasn't all it was, but I've deduced that when it happens, the circuit fo rthe coil is open somehow. How do I know? Well, during that 10-minute or so wait, I can disconnect the positive lead to the coil and reconnect it and nothing will happen. When the car is ready to start, I'll see a little spark when I do the same thing.

Chilton's says the way to check the coil is to check the primary and secondary circuits with an ohmmeter. FOr the primary, you pull the positive and negative leads, set the meter to 1.0, then connect the probes to the primary terminals and resistance should be between .84 and 1.02. For secondary, set it to 15,000, remove the coil wire to the distributor, and connect the probes to the center terminal and the negative terminal and the resistance should be between 8,200 and 12,400.

Does that sound about right? It sounds like this test would definitely determine if it was the coil itself, because there's no other wiring involved...