Replaced fused, now car won't start - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Replaced fused, now car won't start

Featured Replies

Hi all

Newbie here. This week the gauges and choke indicator light on my 73 240z went out. I checked the fuse box and noticed that a 20 amp was shot. I replaced it with another 20 amp fuse, and immediately after that I was unable to start the car. I can jump start it, but without jumper cables the car can't start on its own even after I've let it idle for a while. After reading the posts around here I now know that using the alternator to charge the battery is a no-no, so I'm off to buy a battery charger. If that doesn't work then I guess it's a new alternator and regulator for me.

Can anyone tell me why replacing a fuse would cause this though. I'd still like to replace the fuses in the hopes of getting my gauges to work again.

This site is a great find!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.