IGNORED

Carbs or FI?

sho_shane

Hi guys im new to Z's but im lucky and got a 76 280Z with FI. I love Nitrous and when I do a built it will probly be a 3.1 stroker. What I want to know is on N/A Motor can you make more power with carbs or F/I? Iv heard pros on both sides of the fence but wanted to here from the experts. Also can I build a 3.1 Stroker and still have it as a daly driver. or would a turbo set up be more streetable? Agin thanks for any help. :D

First of all, welcome! Secondly, your best bet would be to use the search function. Usually I'm not one that suggest that to a new member but you've asked questions here and in your post about bumpers that there is a lot of information already available about on this site. And the answers are somewhat subjective based on the opinion of those who respond. The 'experts' have already spoken on these topics.

A set of tripple Webers or Mikunis will make more power than the stock type injection. The after market injection like TWM's manifold and throttle bodies and some type of computer like Motec can make more power than the carbs but at a very high price. A new carb set up is less than 2 grand, the injection set up is at least 2X as much and the power gains are not that much. A properly built 3.1 motor with a set of carbs can easily have 310+ HP and be very streetable. There is a guy over at www.zcar.com and www.hybridz.org named Brian510 who has a motor like that and a web site with the specs of the motor and a dyno page and videos. The last I saw he had run a 12.4 in the 1/4 mile with his 240z stroker. Of course his motor is built by Rebello racing and all said and done with the 44m.m. Mikunis cost over 8K, but high power does not come cheep.