IGNORED

Lead footed B's.

1 Bravo 6

Dropped into the RSL for a quick hello and a can of coke. A couple of the blokes were talking about speed traps. One was saying how the BLOODY COPS had booked him for doing 80 in a 60 zone.

BLOODY COPS this and BLOODY COPS that was the tone of the conversation.

I asked him if he KNEW he was doing 80 in a 60 zone. He said yes. When I asked how he could possibly blame the BLOODY COPS for his own actions he gave me a dirty look and left.

Drivers who KNOWINGLY speed and get booked for it will NEVER get sympathy from me. Such stupidity does NOT show how GOOD a driver is, it only shows how bloody irresponsible he/she is.

Irresponsible driving can and does cause death and injury. I've seen my share of blood on the road. I guess that's why I'll never KNOWINGLY exceed the speed limit.

Well, that's my stand on the soap box.

:( :( :( Rick.

When I was young I got caught doing 105mph in a 45mph zone. I knew "I" was at fault and I simply pulled over before the officer could even turn on his lights! I got off lightly with 50+++(actually written on the citation) in a 45 zone. Cost me $20 and a few drops of sweat to be sure.By the way it was done @1:30am on a deserted main street in AZ. I would never attempt that in traffic! Still stupid though.

Anyone who can't take responsibility for thier own driving habits should not be allowed to drive in my opinion.::stupid:

Personally I don't have a problem with the speed limit being broken provided that it's done sensibly.

My criteria for sensisible being that it's done in the right time and place and is well within the limits of the car and driver.

For example, not in traffic, not in populated areas and not in old dungers driven by 17 year old P platers. Also not with other people in your car that don't consent to that sort of driving.

What concerns me most is the wizz poor driver training, education and licencing in this country. What it means is that a lot of these new drivers don't know how to judge an appropriate speed for the situation themselves, nor do they understand how to control a car in anything but normal/perfect conditions.

My ex gf of about 5 years ago was a classic example. She'd speed, tailgate, hook around corners, brake late, make snap lane changes etc, but she never had a bloody clue how to really control a car. The sad thing is she's still the same, even after her brother had a serious accident because he was driving beyond his somewhat meager ability.

Originally posted by Dale B.

I certainly wouldn't even dream of driving that way in my '64 Galaxie! :paranoid:

Have any pictures of the Galaxie? My dad still drives a '64 that he bought new in '63. 390cid V8 and 250,000 miles on the original clutch. Within the last year or so he had a lot of work done on it - including getting the original engine rebuilt by Jasper before I decided to do the same with my 240Z. His biggest problem is rust in a couple of places. There's rust around the bottom of the rear window which allowed water into the trunk thereby causing the whole trunk floor to basically disintegrate as well as doing some serious damage to the trunk hinges.

We have it easy around here with a car body that was basically unchanged from '70-'78 that sold in large numbers. Back in the 60's American car companies often came out with a whole new body every year. Needless to say, finding replacement parts is problematic.

I'm ok with the 60kph limit in built up areas, providing it is well signposted which it quite often isn't. But the max open road limits are nonsense usually, around 150kph would be a lot better. I don't feel safe driving the Z at say 100kph with a semi right up my backside, at 150 I could probably keep ahead of him. And not go to sleep from boredom at the same time.

DattoZ,

Justin, you've hit the nail on the head there mate. Driver training and licensing in this country is a joke, a farce.

When ANYONE with a car license can hook up to a caravan and drive interstate without ANY training or experience;

When a young bloke can pass his driving test in a little 4 cylinder buzz box one day, then legally take out dad's AU Falcon for a 100 kph (plus) drive to the beach the next day;

(What the heck, those two examples are enough).

But, I'm afraid there are no excuses for exceeding the posted speed limit. Speed thrills on quiet country roads at 2 in the morning can still turn into a disaster. It just takes one leap from a kangaroo and your family is in mourning.

I'd like to see repeat offenders made to attend BAD accidents to experience first hand the pain, suffering and remorse. Might wake the up.

Rick.

But, I'm afraid there are no excuses for exceeding the posted speed limit. Speed thrills on quiet country roads at 2 in the morning can still turn into a disaster. It just takes one leap from a kangaroo and your family is in mourning.

I'd like to see repeat offenders made to attend BAD accidents to experience first hand the pain, suffering and remorse. Might wake the up.

Rick.

You do have a good point. But I suppose it's a calculated risk I'm willing to take on occasion. Selfish? Maybe.

Mind you, I really do make a big point of keeping that risk as small as possible as I do value my own life and I have seen first hand what happens when people do f*ckup.

I'll tell you it certainly calms you down a heck of a lot......and scares you when you see some of the idiocy that goes on on our roads.

On the other hand we all take risks from time to time. I like to go downhill mountain biking and there is some pretty serious risk in that. I've done some good damage to myself and seen some serious damage other riders have done to themselves. But I still continue to ride as it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'd conservatively put the risks I take behind the wheel at a fraction of what I do on the bike, and as with the bike I only every put myself at risk, no one else.

Interesting how poor driving ability is always ascribed to "other" people. We always tend to assume we are extremely capable and everyone else needs the training. I think as you get older(and have survived a wreck or two), you tend to become a little less cocky about your driving skills and become much more conservative in your driving habits. Unfortunately at some point you really do get too old and your skills and senses will eventually decline to an unacceptable level. At some point people should be required to pass vision and driving skills tests every year. Of course, at what age the testing should begin is open to debate. Those dottering blue hairs with inch thick glasses going 35 in a 65 zone can be just as dangerous as the drag racing 16 year olds.

Hey, I speed, I admit it. I drive a sports car and like to feel I drive as fast as the traffic allows. So, I'm on the freeway, cruising at 80, when a SUV passes me at 100! Now, I understand that at 80 mph, my sports car is going to need skillful handling if an incident occurs in front of me. Of course, I sure the SUV driver has no chance at all in avoiding or recovering. That's what gets to me, mindless speeding. Or those young kids attempting to go way too fast, showing off for eachother, in traffic that's way too dense for such horseplay.

It's like they have no concept of the physics involved. Mass in motion. Or are they like Bugs bunny, when he breaks the laws of gravity, "That's ok, because I never studied law".

Originally posted by tanny

Interesting how poor driving ability is always ascribed to "other" people. We always tend to assume we are extremely capable and everyone else needs the training.

You got a pretty good point here, and I'd be quite tempted to say we all do it. On the other hand while my driving abilty pales in comparision to many out there, I'd say I'm (and most of us on here) would be a lot better than your average Joe Bloggs.

Originally posted by 1 Bravo 6

DattoZ,

Justin, you've hit the nail on the head there mate. Driver training and licensing in this country is a joke, a farce.

When ANYONE with a car license can hook up to a caravan and drive interstate without ANY training or experience;

When a young bloke can pass his driving test in a little 4 cylinder buzz box one day, then legally take out dad's AU Falcon for a 100 kph (plus) drive to the beach the next day;

(What the heck, those two examples are enough).

Rick.

Certainly agree about the, ummm skill, levels required to get a licence. But it is not that simple. How do new drivers gain such skills? That is part of the problem and something that the government should be doing something about, using speed camera fine money to do it.

Don't agree about the necessity to always keep to the open road limit though. Your speed should be related to the situation not some arbitary figure, which is some situations may be too high anyway.