IGNORED

Need HELP with rear quarter panel replacement... please!

PrOxLaMuS©

• 3 weeks later...

Glad your Z turned out well. I am looking for sources for 280Z body panels specifically the right rear fender. I have rust at the gas door and the panel down below it. Suggestions.....I guess one is to cut that panel out and weld in a rust free one. The rest of the car is rust free.

Mark:

The rust in the gas door opening is from moisture creeping in between the gas door "cup" and the fender skin. That may be possible to fix with only a small amount of fabrication.

The hole under the body trim however, looks like it may be from moisture that crept in through the rivet holes used to mount the vinyl strip. You won't know until you open the back side up (inside the car) to determine how far and how bad the rust is.

The rust at the bottom of the fender is the worst in my opinion. That is because it appears to be a prior repair with a patch already seamed in. The seam can be seen in a straight line back from the bumper. I don't recall the fender having a seam in this area.

If in fact it is a prior repair that has gone bad, it may be cheaper to buy a replacement fender and take care of all the rust all at once.

2¢

Enrique

Originally posted by EScanlon

Mark:

The rust in the gas door opening is from moisture creeping in between the gas door "cup" and the fender skin. That may be possible to fix with only a small amount of fabrication.

The hole under the body trim however, looks like it may be from moisture that crept in through the rivet holes used to mount the vinyl strip. You won't know until you open the back side up (inside the car) to determine how far and how bad the rust is.

The rust at the bottom of the fender is the worst in my opinion. That is because it appears to be a prior repair with a patch already seamed in. The seam can be seen in a straight line back from the bumper. I don't recall the fender having a seam in this area.

If in fact it is a prior repair that has gone bad, it may be cheaper to buy a replacement fender and take care of all the rust all at once.

2¢

Enrique

As far as I know there was no prior repair. But I could be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey do you guys have any experience with the fit and finish of the aftermarket quarter panels.

I replaced both my quarters way back when I was in high school.

I have been trying recently to complete the assembly of the car.

I have noticed that the quarter panel flange, that the door buts up against is not as deep as it should be so the gas door sticks out say 1/16-1/8"

Also the door gap is about 1/2 an inch wide at the latches.

do you guys know what size the gap should be.

I am afraid I might have to cut and extend the quarter panel where the door is.

BTW The car has already been painted and is ready for assembly.

1GENZED:

Since the car is now painted and ready for reassembly, all you can do is adjust the components for best fit.

Any work to deepen the seating flange for the gas door should have been done at the time the panel was put in. Same for the door edge (presuming that it is that edge that is wrong and not that the door is misaligned.).

Try seating the gas door hinge into the cup deeper. Don't go too far as the door may not close properly if set in too far. Play with this until you get the best fit.

As far as the gap at the back of the door / front of the rear fender, this measurement will vary, from 3/16" to 3/8". The key isn't to find a measurement, but rather to mount the doors onto the car in such a way that the spacing ALL AROUND the door, front, back, bottom is even. Then you start playing with it to get it to function properly.

MARK:

The area that LOOKS like it has been repaired before is below the bumper. That's where you can see a "seam" on the paint. If that's just the edge of a protective coating for rock chips, then probably no prior repair. But, you CAN see other bubbles of rust about to pop through and what appears to be a patch of lifted Bondo.

2¢

Enrique

Hi EScanlon

Thanks for the reply

I was only 18 when I replaced the quarters so did not have alot of experience. however I did but weld all the seems.

It would be alot different if I was doing it now

Can you tell me if the gas door sits flush against the rest of the quarter. if not how much does it stick out.

Thanks

Ahmed