IGNORED

"The Run"

Zrush

I remember seeing this short film in famous company. Years ago my father was a Talbot dealer ( Talbot was a horrible invention of Peugeot who used the name to when they took over the old Chrysler Europe & Simca ). Anyway in the RAC rally of that year my father´s garage sponsored a couple of Talbot Avengers that were run by Skip Brown. More by luck that anything else one of the cars had a class victory & to celebrate there was an evening organised to show rally films, etc. The invited guests were the bloody ´orrible Avenger & Henri Toivenen ( hope I´ve spelt that right) Being the boss´s son I got to sit next to Toivenen for the films & if I remember rightly I bored him silly with questions like how to be a rally driver, do rally drivers make lots of money & were rally drivers successful with women ! Almost at her end of films & before the buffet the famous film was shown. I remember that even Toivenen was impressed. Ok that´s one of my claims to fame.

Hi symon,

Wow, Henri Toivonen was one of my rally heroes.

It was a real tragedy that he and Sergio Cresto were killed on the Tour De Corse in their Lancia. Those Group B cars were starting to get really crazy, and it was always bound to end in tears. The fuel tanks were under the driver and navigator's seats on that car, and I believe they were also running fuel through the actual tubing of the chassis and roll cage?...........

I was in Corsica in 1994, chasing the Tour De Corse around the island with a Japanese journalist. That's a crazy place with a really heavy vibe, and many of the drivers at the time didn't like it. I can't imagine what it was like to drive in Corsica with a Group B car. It was crazy enough in our little hire car.

We went up to see the memorial to Toivonen and Crespo which is on the side of the road that they crashed off of. There were fresh flowers and little notes from fans. It was like a little shrine. Very moving.

Thanks for your story.

All the best,

Alan T.

( ps - what was the name of your father's garage? The name Skip Brown brought back lots of memories! ).

http://www.techbooks.com.au/pg-200.htm

C'ETAIT UN RENDEZVOUS DVD (91/2 MINS) SPIRIT LEVEL

Terrifying yet absolutely compulsive - this exhilerating and now legendary drive with its surprise ending through beautiful 1970’s Paris has been shrouded in myths since its first release. Was seminal French director Claude Lelouch really arrested when it was first shown? Was it a Formula 1 driver in the iconic Ferrari 275 GTB?

Lelouch’s electrifying 9 minute drive has to be seen to be believed. No car chase on film had, or ever will, come close. The reality of no special effects, edits or blocking off streets is terrifying.

ISBN: X623623560

CATEGORY: Automotive - Video/DVD

TITLE: C'ETAIT UN RENDEZVOUS DVD (91/2 MINS) SPIRIT LEVEL

AUTHOR:

PUBLISHER:

PRICE: $44.95 (includes GST)

Hi Alan,

The Father´s garage used to be called Newtown Service Station in Bloxwich, nr Walsall. A few years ago the whole lot was torn down & some property devolopers built an OAP home there. Even so the garage was well past it´s best.

I remember well as a kid going up there with my father, whilst he was talking business I used to sit in the new cars,( trash like the Chrysler 180 LOL & Hilman Imps ) & play at rally drivers. The best thing about driving around with my father was that he always a new car or "smoker" as he called them. One day it would be a beat up Hilman Minx or may be a Ford Grandada or if things were going well an XJ6 Jag. Oh happy days before I realised that I had to work to pay for my motoring dreams

Anybody think that video is worth $50.00 for a 9 1/2 minute run? I'd love to order it but would like to know from those who have seen it if it's worth the money. Does it now look cheesey compared to what we see on everyday TV or do you find it a classic worth the money.:ermm:

Scott, I got a copy of the run from the Nissan dealer last year when I bought my Maxima. I watched it a couple of times, thought it was fun but like Brett240 said "he could have pushed harder". I don't think it's worth $50 maybe $10 maybe.

Originally posted by Ed

Scott, I got a copy of the run from the Nissan dealer last year when I bought my Maxima. I watched it a couple of times, thought it was fun but like Brett240 said "he could have pushed harder". I don't think it's worth $50 maybe $10 maybe.

"THE RUN" does sell for $10 (at least that is what the email from Nissan offered it to me for).

It is the DVD of "C'ETAIT UN RENDEZVOUS" that sells for $44.95

Originally posted by zrush

Anybody think that video is worth $50.00 for a 9 1/2 minute run? I'd love to order it but would like to know from those who have seen it if it's worth the money. Does it now look cheesey compared to what we see on everyday TV or do you find it a classic worth the money.:ermm:

If you want to see if the Rendezvous video is any good before paying $50 for it, have a look at it first. Download it off the net, watch it, and if you like it buy it. Theres a preview of it on http://spiritlevelfilm.com/ click the picture to play the movie.

Or if you want to see the whole movie you can find it on the net somewhere I'm sure. Start with google. > "C’etait un Rendezvous" try limiting your search to english results only, or maybe throw in polarisuk might help. Maybe search for Rendezvous.avi.

Aparrently this is the route the driver took

map.jpg

Yeah it looks slower when you dont have the sound on. But the 350z doesn't look like its going that fast in The Run either.

Speaking of old car movies, Anybody seen the original Gone in 60 seconds (1974 version). I Read that the car chase for Eleanor takes half the movie, and that the stunt driver, (who wrote and was producer of the movie) was killed filming the sequel.

I rented the original version after seeing the new version with Nicolas Cage. The 1974 chase does take up a good portion of the movie and is quite awesome for the time. The movie looks so dated today. But the Mustang is totally destroyed and keeps going! Must have been fun making that movie.

Another great car chase movie is Steve McQueen in "Bullet". I do have a love for pre-smog control American Muscle Cars.