IGNORED

Why written in english?

kats

Hi Kats,

I was wondering if the lady in the manual is part of the "Optional Equipment" package. I'd love to have a personal assistant to wrench my ( wheel ) nuts................

I don't know much more about the South African market cars than you do. I know that some of the cars sold there were indeed badges as "Fairlady Z" and ( after late 1971 ) "Fairlady 240Z" - but I don't think it was a major market. It was, of course, an RHD market.

You might have noticed that many of the Works rally cars that competed in the East African Safari Rally, and other African rally events, were badged as "Fairlady" models. The first of these were RHD, but they then switched to LHD for later events ( and yes - they moved the Handbrake levers to the left side of the trans tunnel on these cars ).

I'll see what I can find out about the South African and other African countries markets for you.

Cheers!

Alan T.

Thanks Kats for the wonderful insite of some unusual early Zs from your and maybe S. Africa's markets. It's too bad only one model was sent here. some of the unique features of the JMZ would be fun to have, some as the clock that was mentioned in this site last week and shown in your manual.

Maybe Alan knows, but was Nissan called Datsun in S Africa also or only in the West?

Kats, thanks, again, for the pictures and education.

Hi Jeff,

In answer to your question, I believe that the situation in South Africa was similar to the one we had here in the UK;

That is to say that the Nissan products were sold by a franchise holder, and were badged with the "Datsun" name. I believe that the Nissan franchise for Kenya ( East Africa ) was held by a company called "D.T.Dobie". Until Nissan were firmly established in the African market I believe they used franchises such as this.

Nissan seems to have been very serious about the the African market, and eventually opened a manufacturing plant there.

I reckon its more likely that Kats' English manual is for English speakers in Japanese territory, and I only mentioned the SA connection to point out that Z cars badged "Fairlady" were, I believe, sold there.

Cheers,

Alan T.

( edit: I'm sure that the potential market for the Z must have been very small in Africa - and its obvious that Nissan's interest in the potential African market would have been mainly for small cars and utility vehicles rather than sports cars! ).

Thank you Jeff, for seeing this thread if I find some interesting page,I will continue to post.

Oh yes Alan,I hope so too.But I forgot onething the lady in this manual almost same age as my mother!!The lady must be over 50 years old.

By the way how many girls have asked you to let her have a passenger's seat so far?Is the Z attractive for women in the world, is not it?

In japan,S30 is recognised as a old car and a little bit wild car,(many japanese owner got fat wheels on it and big exaust pipes making very roud sound)so almost impossible to have a oppotunity to be asked from a lady for a drive.

There is a option for japanese Z.The lady in this manual

post-3193-14150793214423_thumb.jpg

Kats:

Not since "Interior Ergonomics" have I had so much fun with a post. Your "question" in turn answers so many discussions that we've had.

I would thoroughly enjoy reading that Owner's Manual. Could you take pictures of each of the pages and then post? Or if it takes too much time, you could send them to me and I'll post them to the website. Although it may sound like a waste of time, it is not. These manuals give insights as to what was considered "standard" or at least available to the Japanese Domestic Market.

It is the differences between the JDM and the U.S. market that are so informative and interesting.

A note to the side:

The Center Console shown in the picture is what, in the U.S. is considered to be one of the key designations between a Series I and a Series II. (Sorry Alan) Granted, from discussions here we've seen that this differentiation is a U.S. only difference. That console shows the Parking Light Switch as well as the Rear Window Defog switch located in FRONT of the Shifter. The sliding cover ash-tray is also a "Series II" design.

However, if you download the picture and then magnify and sharpen the image, you'll just begin to see the presence of a Throttle Control Lever to the RIGHT of the console. This was NEVER seen in the U.S..

Another note:

The Headlight Switch to Lamps Light relationship chart shows that the Headlight Switch and Turn Signal Levers are in fact reversed from those we've seen in the U.S.. Additionally, there is evidence that the JDM cars were fitted with a Passing Light Relay circuit which allows the High Beam Lights to be actuated without the parking or turn signal lamps.

Lastly, the picture for the Parking Lights.

Thank you again in helping me procure that switch for my car. This picture describes the use of the switch perfectly.

Thanks again!

Enrique Scanlon

I second the request (if practical) for Kats to make a complete electronic copy of the 'Domestic English' manual.

From memory, the Australian delivered 240Z owners manual has none of the 'extras' that Kats has shown. However, the Australian delivered parts manual does mention Z432 application for a few parts (eg oil cooler).

A friend of mine has what we are calling a 'crossover' 240Z. It has the late pillar vents & hatch, but the early diff position, A-series box & interior. The funny thing is that is has the parking-lamp circuit & switchgear as mentioned in one of Kats' photos. We have spent a number of hours trying to determine the function & location of these switches (the centre console was damaged beyond repair) and have only just come to the conclusion that it _must_ be parking lamps. I haven't looked at the taillights to see if the parking lamp globes are indeed fitted.

This car has an Australian compliance plate, but was it _really_ meant to be sold in this country?

Kats,

I notice that the Options page for the Fairlady-Z includes a "Racing Stripe". Can you (or Alan) tell us what the racing stripe looks like? Was is positioned on the vertical or horizontal surfaces of the car? Did the stripe colour vary with the body colour?

I am keen to know about these sorts of factory options!

Hayden.

Just great, kats!

Of course the woman in the photograph is beautiful. I thought all Japanese women were beautiful!

The radio / cassette is probably what we call 8-track. I have seen one of those. I have the service manuals from an OKINAWA car. They list a print date of 8/70. Also, the car is in Tampa and I can look at it from time to time if you have questions. I want to tell you that I have several early service manuals and the OKINAWA set is different. The paper is different and the covers have textured paper.

By the way, kats. I tried to reply to your gas cap question. the first caps listed in the parts fiche 17251-E4101 do not have chains, the the next listing -E4102 says "with chain". No date of application is given.

Wow, fantastic information and pictures!!!

But one thing... Alan, you say that the S30's were badged "Fairlady" in South Africa, however they were sold as Datsuns. Were these cars called "Datsun Fairlady Z" in Africa??????

Obviously information about this market would be very hard to come by... wonder how many Z's there are left in Africa...

A man called Arshad Khan has recently bought a P610 rally car from a friend of mine (via Shekhar Mehta, via Lofty Drews).

Arshad lives in Kenya & is entering this car into a historic rally series (he's just done a shakedown rally in it & now spent a fortune on brand new Proflex suspension!)

The relationship to the current topic?

My friend receives a call 2 weeks ago saying; "please send ball joints & fan belts." Apparently he can't even get a non-multigroove fanbelt in Kenya, let alone one that suits a P610. So it appears that my local auto-parts store & Nissan dealer will be the sole suppliers of spares for a car located 1/2 a world away.

So....

My hopes for any surviving Z's in that part of the world are not very high.

Alfadog,

I presume that they were indeed sold as "Datsun Fairlady 240Z" models in SA. I have never seen any marketing brochures / advertisements from that market, so I can only guess based on the badging of the cars that I have seen.

Ben,

I don't think that they sold very many out there in the first place ( probably only a handful ) so its very unlikely that there will have been a significant number of survivors.

Maybe Arshad Khan's car uses the Sports Option pulley and belt set ( narrow V "Gates" belt ) and that is why he needed to send out for them?

Halz,

You were asking about the "Racing Stripe" kit from the Japanese standard options list ( not the Sports Option lists ). I have a pic of the 432R version:

post-2116-14150793216602_thumb.jpg