IGNORED

Opinions?

mdbrandy

Hmm, that area along the firewall seam looks like it could be more than surface rust, judging by the amount of rust on the brake and gas line.....:disappoin

Drivers side looks pretty good though...but there could be quite a bit hiding behind all that undercoating too...

I guess the biggest question is this, are you ready for another possible project?:ermm:

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

I guess the biggest question is this, are you ready for another possible project?:ermm:

Gotta be able to drive it. Any Z is a project, but it can't be one that takes it off the road for big chunks of time right now. I've asked him for more pics of the underside, frame, rockers, rear wheelwell, rear hatch shelf, etc. We'll see if he sends them. Thanks to you all - the reason I posted is to keep my head out of the Z clouds by getting opinions from other Z-sperts without any vested interest. If he sends me anything else, I'll post it. Without more info on the possible rust, I'll probably pass now...

If he sends me good pics, I'll have to agonize some more...

I think you guys are picking at the car with a different point of view. I DON'T think the VIN is low and I don't think the car is worth looking at in a restoration / valuable manner. I think it looks like a great daily driver for two to four years. I stick by my thought; if you can get it for under $2400, it's a great deal. Drive the crap out of it and parts it out.

Well, the Vin is not as low as yours or many others, but it puts the production date to somewhere between 5/70 and 6/70, so being that, it's in the first 7-9 months or so of actual production.

I've usually considered a car with a VIN under 5000 that has survived to be a bit more of a rarity, since it wasn't long after these cars were produced that production levels increased to where they were putting them out the door like gang-busters.

My car is an 11/70 with a Vin of 14749, so in the 6 months after this car came off the line, they built 10,000 cars in the next 5 or 6 months, where they only built 5K in the first 8 or 9 months.

Finding cars with VINs under 1000 today is a rare find, especially considering these cars had the lightest chassis which made them even more prone to rust.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Well, the Vin is not as low as yours or many others, but it puts the production date to somewhere between 5/70 and 6/70,

He has posted a picture of the data plate. The production date is in 5/70.

And this is what he's got of the front of the passenger side framerail. Apparently the channel was welded into the front frame portion behind the T/C rod pocket.

So, more opinions! Keep me honest! 26th-Z has the right idea, that all I really want out of this car is to drive the heck out of it for a few years while I finish #215. But it has to last a few years without lots of structural work. I can whip out the MIG and retack some of the stuff that looks suspect, but there sure is a lot of "surface" rust showing in these pictures. 2ManyZ's question about whether I want another project is well taken too - I don't. At least not a big project. I have another 3 months before the kid can drive anyway, so I could work on it for that long and not have it hamper what I am really trying to get out of it.

Anyway, thanks. :ermm:

That rust is looking worse in every picture. I think as a daily driver (replacing the Camry) you will be Flinstoning your way to and from work in short order. Being able to tack weld suspect areas is great, but, you must have some solid metal to do that with.

My vote is plow on and look for something else.

Hi Mark:

I don't know how hard it is to find un-rusted, or less rusted Z's in your part of the country, but.............if all you are looking for is transportation and it doesn't HAVE to be Z, or if you have time to search and the possibility of another Z being found. I'd keep looking. In CA most folks would run from this one. JMO, naturally.

Good luck in whatever you decide!