IGNORED

cam gear wont go bak on!

z_boi

Start by making sure your distruibutor drive timing is correct.

1. Remove valve cover.

2. Remove plugs.

3. Remove cap&rotor.

4. Turn crankshaft until timing mark on crankshaft pulley lines up with 0 degree timing mark.

5. Using a flashlight look inside # 1 cylinder and make sure the piston is at Top Dead Center.

6. Now pay attention to the camshaft. Make sure that the # 1 valve lobes are both pointed up so that the intake and the exhaust valves are closed. If not then rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees.

From here check to make sure your "dizzy" (rotor) is pointed in the right direction. From the drivers side (in the U.S.) looking at the motor. If the front of the car is 9 o'clock and the passenger front wheel is 12 o'clock then the dizzy should point halfway between 11 and 12 o'clock. (Not 100 percent on that correct me if I need it guys).

With the wide side on the left.

"If the front of the car is 9 o'clock and the passenger front wheel is 12 o'clock then the dizzy should point halfway between 11 and 12 o'clock. (Not 100 percent on that correct me if I need it guys). "

This bit is Absolutley crucial. i have a book at home that has a picture of where this should be at TDC. if someone doesnt beat me to it ill post overnight.

Originally posted by Brett240

This bit is Absolutley crucial. i have a book at home that has a picture of where this should be at TDC. if someone doesnt beat me to it ill post overnight.

Absolutely critical.

Do yourself a favour and get a Factory Service Manual.

It will pay back it's purchase price many times over in the future.

the rotor is pointed a 9 o'clock from the driver side lined up wit the #1 wire. when the crank pully is at tdc, the #1 piston is at the top. The cam gear is placed in the second hole and the timing mark is right of the oblong grove as it should be. Both exhaust and intake lobes on #1 is pointed twards the top. It sound like it wants to start up, but jus doesnt. Could it be fuel?

It started yesterday, idled fine but revved funny. It sounded like wrx. I didnt start it up this moring when i checked the cams and found it off. then after i corrected it, I tried to start it, it started up for a quick second, and jus died. after that, it jus wouldnt start.:ermm:

Originally posted by z_boi

the rotor is pointed a 9 o'clock from the driver side lined up wit the #1 wire. when the crank pully is at tdc, the #1 piston is at the top. The cam gear is placed in the second hole and the timing mark is right of the oblong grove as it should be. Both exhaust and intake lobes on #1 is pointed twards the top. It sound like it wants to start up, but jus doesnt. Could it be fuel?

It started yesterday, idled fine but revved funny. It sounded like wrx. I didnt start it up this moring when i checked the cams and found it off. then after i corrected it, I tried to start it, it started up for a quick second, and jus died. after that, it jus wouldnt start.:ermm:

Sounds like you have the spark plug wiring wrong. #1 spark plug position is at 8PM on my distributor. May also have the distributor driveshaft installed off by a tooth.

I agree with the person who reccomended that you get a FACTORY Service manual. Chiltons (I think you said that's what you have) is not a very good manual for these cars.

Originally posted by BambiKiller240

Sounds like you have the spark plug wiring wrong. #1 spark plug position is at 8PM on my distributor. May also have the distributor driveshaft installed off by a tooth.

I agree with the person who reccomended that you get a FACTORY Service manual. Chiltons (I think you said that's what you have) is not a very good manual for these cars.

DITTO!!!

im lookin from driver side, not front of the car. If i were lookin from the front, it would be at 8 0'clock

And now that i tink about it, its not a 9 o'clock from driver side, its at about 10 o'clock

And yes, I've realized that chilton manuals suk!:finger: hahah

Originally posted by z_boi

im lookin from driver side, not front of the car. If i were lookin from the front, it would be at 8 0'clock

And now that i tink about it, its not a 9 o'clock from driver side, its at about 10 o'clock

And yes, I've realized that chilton manuals suk!:finger: hahah

Looking from the drivers side of the car, the #1 position on the distributor is at 8:00. If the rotor is poointing anywhere else (and it certainly sounds like it is) SOMETHING is wrong.

Step one is to make sure that the timeing marker on the front cover is pointing to the deepest notch on the crankshaft pulley., and make sure the two cam lobes for the #1 cylinder are pointing UP, then look at the distributor. The Rotor should be pointing at 8:00. That is the way it SHOULD be.

Get that manual!!!