IGNORED

Crash Test S30

HS30-H

The hump in the bonnet is a lot higher.

Maybe they decided not to do that for aerodynamic reasons, or does it just make it difficult to see out of the windscreen?? Still, it looks better than that "customised" zed that someone posted a few months ago with the two fellas names on the back..

Not sure if it's the fuzzy pic or not, but it looks like the rockers extend lower than the production cars.'

And, I don't see an inspection lid that ought to be sticking straight up with the way the front is buckled......

BTW, Kats I like the wheels, it's a shame they didn't put them on all the cars instead of the plain steel wheels with the hubcaps... are these similar to the ones on the 432R in you photo on another post or and I seeing things?

Lots of good differences pointed out - well done everybody. I've been looking at this photo for a long time, and keep seeing more and more things that are strange - but some of the comments have made me look again. Great fun.

I would have thought that this crash test car WOULD have had an engine and transmission installed, or the crash test results would have been rather meaningless?

Its clear that this crash test car has many features that are different to the production specs, but its possibly a bit dangerous to comment in too much detail on the front end as its so mashed up from the impact. I think I can see an inspection lid still in its horizontal position, and its possible that the bonnet ( hood ) has overlapped the scuttle panel after impact too.

Nobody has mentioned that its another RHD prototype. I would suppose that is a large block of something heavy on the drivers seat - simulating the weight of the driver?

Here's a clearer pic of the pressed steel four-spoke wheels on one of the prototypes. They were quite different to the Magnesium wheels on the 432 ( made by Kobe Seiko ). This car has similarities and differences to the crash test car:

Alan T.

post-2116-14150793025776_thumb.jpg

Hi 2ManyZs,

As Alan posted,the wheels on the test vehicle are different from actual sold model"Z-432".

Z-432's wheel is made of magnesium,so at that time owners were cautioned not to remain in solt-water.

1970 Jan magazine said 50,000yen for 1 wheel(aproximately $150 U.S.)This wheel was very expensive,now they are still expensive in yahoo auction in JAPAN.$1,000 U.S. for 4 wheels.

Thanks,

kats

post-3193-14150793062301_thumb.jpg

Hi Kats,

Great photo!

I presume that your photo is of either a full production-spec. car - or something very close to it. It certainly looks very close to a production spec - even down to the emblems.

Its clear that the Factory would have been conducting crash-tests right through pre-production, but possibly well into production too? I wonder how many cars they tested, and whether these bodies were assigned full VIN numbers?

Fascinating!

Alan T.

Tucked away, I've a video of a prototype being induced to roll being pulled with a cable and another shot of a (the) crash test. On the same video there is a Japanese test driver (complete with leather helmet with ear-flaps) doing a slalom course and high speed banking !

All RHD of course !

Alan - you need to contact me re you know what from your garage !

ps hi all - it's been a while.

Alan, can we pick on the differences we notice on your second picture, the proto-2?

I'm wondering if it's an illusion or does the fender (wing) blend with the headlight bucket? Maybe a one piece? And what is that dark shadow by the right rear tire? Are the bumper guards larger?

Just wondering.