IGNORED

Dealer Option Mirror and Tonneau Cover

taikaki

Thanks, now you proved I would have had it bass-ackwards..... that's the first time I've ever seen a photo of one installed....:classic:

But now you have me wondering if I am missing a piece. Looks like that one has another piece that goes from the top of the strut tower down to the floor near the tool compartment doors....

And since that one is mounted in either a 77 or 78 280 judging by the strut tower trim, I'm wondering if this was ever offered in the 240's or 260's... I know the dealer option page at zhome doesn't show it, only the chrome cargo bar the mounted on the luggage riser.:ermm:

Hi Guys:

I've put some pictures up on the Z Car Home Page.

See: http://ZHome.com/History/CargoCover.htm

Just so we don't get confused with terms.

There were Nissan Factory Authorized "Accessory Items" sold over the Datsun Parts Counter. In many cases the Dealers added these items to the 240-Z's before the Z's were sold to the public. All Nissan Factory Authorized "Accessory Items" were covered by the Factory Warranty and all had an official Datsun Part Number. Most often they were re-boxed or repackaged from the original equipment supplier and were sold in either "DATSUN" or "NISSAN" boxes. (not always but most of the time).

Then there were accessories that many OTHER after-market manufacturers sold. The Cargo Area Cover is one of these. At least through 1973 Datsun didn't offer this as a Factory Authorized Accessory Item.

I had the installation instructions for this cargo area cover for years and years and years - now that I've tried to find it - I can't. If I run across it I'll Post it later.

Hope this helps,

regards,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater,FL USA

http://ZHome.com

I have two of those toneau covers still in the factory boxes. The ones that I have are listed as for 280Z 2+2's. I don't have the part number shown on the box with me as I'm at work. The clips that go over a post are for the strut towers and snaps are mounted to the bottom of the hatch to connect to the stretch cord end of the cover.

The mirror shown may have been a factory authorized option, but they were also available as aftermarket units. Periodically they will show up on eBay, though most are in rather poor condition and missing the plastic pads that protect the door paint from the mirror hardware.

If someone is interested in ONE of the two sets that I have (listed as fitting 280Z 2+2).......I could be persuaded to part with one for a fair price. Just send a PM my way

PS I have the installation instruction too and will try to copy and forward to Carl Beck if I can get an address for him. (no digital camera yet)

Bambi, since your's are for a 280, do your's look like the pic that Carl posted or do your's stop at the top of the strut tower like mine does?

I'm just curious what year mine might be for, cuz it definately isn't like the 240 cover. Mine only goes as far as the bar that crosses the strut towers and that's it.

Just curious....:cross-eye

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Bambi, since your's are for a 280, do your's look like the pic that Carl posted or do your's stop at the top of the strut tower like mine does?

Hi Keith

Yeah, mine looks like yours. It ends at the Strut Towers. I've attached the Picture that Carl Beck posted with the part that is MISSING on my covers outlined in RED .

Mine are listed as for a 280Z 2+2 One of the two boxes that I have has "Datsun P/N 99990-0034" printed on it. It is very faint after all these years.

Mine also does not have the "hooks" mentioned by Becko. To attach to the hatch there are "snaps" that you mount to the hatch with a screw. The cover then "snaps" onto the hatch.

Yup, guess mine is for a 280 as well... mine has the snaps on the elastic bands that attach to the hatch as well...oh, well, it's better than nuttin... just wish my box had a part number on it...alll I can read is the shipping address where it went to the parts distribution center in Portsmouth, Va.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Yup, guess mine is for a 280 as well... mine has the snaps on the elastic bands that attach to the hatch as well...oh, well, it's better than nuttin... just wish my box had a part number on it...alll I can read is the shipping address where it went to the parts distribution center in Portsmouth, Va.

The box that I have shows two addresses:

C/O 7425 Fulton Ave

North Hollywood, CA 91605

and

Nissan Motor Corp

3575 ?cholls Ferry

Portland, OR